The British firm said on Monday its "Hudl" device, which has a seven-inch screen, runs
Tesco is attempting to revive its fortunes in its home market after losing share to rivals but has suffered a series of setbacks to its reputation this year, including the discovery across
In June the firm posted a drop in quarterly underlying sales in
"It's a reflection of the way Tesco is changing and also a reflection of the way the world around us is changing," Chief Executive
Though a quarter of
"Tesco in the
The Hudl device has quick access to Tesco's online shopping and banking sites, as well as its blinkbox movies and TV on demand service, Clubcard TV, music streaming and e - book services.
If Tesco customers utilise a scheme that doubles the value of their Clubcard loyalty vouchers they can effectively buy the Hudl for £60.
"Doing An Amazon"
Tesco's device will compete with Amazon's Kindle Fire, which retails for £99,
"If you compare the specification that we've put together with the specification of similarly priced products on the market we'll beat them hands down," said chief information officer
It was a logical move for Tesco, he said, but for consumers possibly less so.
"The Nexus 7 is a few tens of pounds more, but it is an absolutely mind - blowing machine in comparison," he said.
"We get a lot back because people use them and they say 'no, what I wanted was an iPad' and they are not," he said.
"There's a reason why an iPad is more expensive, it's just better."
Tesco declined to say how many Hudls it expected to sell but said its supply chain can be flexed to meet demand.
The device will initially launch in
Shares in Tesco were up 0.3 per cent at
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Scotch Whisky Sales Raise Distillers' Spirits
- Budget Deal Will Cut 220,000 Californians Out of Jobless Benefits
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Fake Deaf Interpreter Was Hallucinating, Has Schizophrenia
- Tea Party Glum in Face of Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Futures Fall, Holiday Spending and Unemployment Up
- Health Coverage Disparities Emerge Among States