Scottish recording artist Susan Boyle is to make her feature-film debut in "The Christmas Candle," EchoLight Studios announced Tuesday.
Based on the book by Max Lucado, the family holiday movie is to open in theaters Nov. 22. It co-stars Samantha Barks, Hans Matheson, Lesley Manville, Sylvester McCoy, John Hannah, Barbara Flynn and James Cosmo.
Boyle is best known for her stunning rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream" on the singing competition show "Britain's Got Talent" in 2009. She has since released four hit studio albums.
Her original single "Miracle Hymn" is the anthem of "The Christmas Candle" and can be heard on her upcoming holiday album, "Home for Christmas," set for release Oct. 29.
"What better time to share an inspirational movie than at Christmastime? People want movies that inspire, and that's what we can deliver. 'The Christmas Candle' reminds us that Christmas is not just about reindeer and shopping, it's about hope and miracles," Rick Santorum, chief executive officer of EchoLight Studios, said in a statement.
"Classic movies like 'It's a Wonderful Life' show us that even in the most difficult times, we can hold on to the hope that surrounds Christmas," the former U.S. senator added. "We made 'The Christmas Candle' in that same tradition."
The film marks the 2012 Republican presidential candidate's first major project in the film and entertainment business.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response