ZeroTurnaround, the company that’s helping software eat the world faster, announced today the availability of its fourth annual Developer Productivity Report. Unlike previous reports, the 2013 Developer Productivity Report zeros in on software quality and release predictability in development teams. The study analyzes the responses of 1,006 software engineers from across the globe and takes a scientific approach to analyze which Tools/Technologies and industry ‘Best Practices’ are truly the most effective in the field, plus which toolset rock star software development teams have in their arsenal. Here are 5 key findings from the report:
1. Work on Code Quality - Fixing code quality issues increases software quality by up to 7 percent, and the predictability of your releases by up to 9 percent.
2. Automate functional testing - Automating tests increases your software quality by up to 9 percent and predictability of your release by up to 12 percent.
3. Encourage developers to Pair Up - Having developers pair up increases software quality by up to 7 percent.
4. Estimate tasks as a team - Who does the task estimation influences release predictability. When done as a team there is an increase (+6 percent), whereas involving the management drops it (-6 percent).
5. Specific tools improve predictability - Predictability of releases increases when teams use Version Control (+9 percent), IDEs (+8 percent), Continuous Integration servers (+5 percent) -- four specific tools that increase predictability are JRebel (+8 percent), Jenkins (+4 percent), Bamboo (+4% percent) and Confluence (+3 percent).
“I was really excited to do this analysis,” said Jevgeni Kabanov, founder and CEO of ZeroTurnaround. “Throughout the years I've heard so many people say that such and such practice is the key to a productive engineering organisation, but the data was always anecdotal and it was hard to know whether their experience is specific to their projects or universally applicable. With this industry-wide report we put hard data behind engineering tools and practices, and teams can use it both to plan their own adoption and explain needed costs to the management.”
To download the full report with details on the methodology, all the findings from the study, in-depth analysis and beautifully-designed graphs, please visit: http://zeroturnaround.com/rebellabs/developer-productivity-report-2013-how-engineering-tools-practices-impact-software-quality-delivery/.
About the 2013 ZeroTurnaround Developer Productivity Report
The 2013 ZeroTurnaround Developer Productivity Report is a reflection of the opinions of 1,006 responses. The report focuses on software quality and predictability. When measuring the quality of software, we looked at the frequency of critical or blocker bugs discovered after release. When analyzing the predictability of software delivery we examined delays in releases, execution of planned requirements, and in-process changes. After ascertaining that quality and predictability where two areas in which data could be gathered, we continued with further analysis based on tools used, practices employed and industry and company size. Respondents to the study represent a disproportionate bias towards software/technology companies as well as Java as a programming language.
ZeroTurnaround is helping software eat the world faster. The company’s award-winning JRebel technology empowers developers to instantly view code changes without redeploying the application server and is trusted by thousands of companies around the world like
Founded in 2007, ZeroTurnaround has two development centers in
For more information, visit zeroturnaround.com or follow @zeroturnaround on Twitter.
+1 (617) 779-1830
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/9/prweb11147923.htm
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Names Woman to Board
- Aspen Contracting Adding 300 Jobs
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- Nelson Mandela Dies After Momentous Life
- U.S. Unemployment Rate Dips to 7 Percent
- Consumer Spending Rises, Incomes Fall
- Fast-Food Workers Want $15 an Hour
- Roybal-Allard Tours Gordon Brush Plant
- Ford Mustang Still Packs Power
- W.H. Corrects Itself on Unclegate