Fuelled by South African rocket science and satellite technology, Denel has launched "Spaceteq" as a newly-formed space engineering business unit.
This follows the incorporation of satellite manufacturer, SunSpace into Denel in July in a move which combines the highly-advanced engineering and technology skills of both companies.
Space has been identified as one of
"Denel Spaceteq will be able to play a central role in this national strategy," says Saloojee.
The new company known as Denel Spaceteq is part of Denel Dynamics which has been exploring opportunities in satellite and space engineering in collaboration with the
Technology and skills
Denel Spaceteq will represent
"While the space domain is a new frontier for the African continent and for Denel Spaceteq, the time is right to market
Denel Dynamics attended its first IAC in
The highly skilled and specialised engineers and scientists, absorbed into Denel from SunSpace, brought with them capabilities of their own including the SunSat and SumbandilaSat programmes. EO-Sat1 will be based on the strong legacy inherited from the development of SumbandilaSat.
Alheit says benefit of a local Space industry will be far reaching.
"Retaining and developing technology and engineering skills within the country's borders will have a much broader national technological benefit and inspire young talent in the much needed fields of maths and science," Alheit added.
All rights reserved.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- Apple Paid Its Lawyers More Than $60MM to Defeat Samsung in Court
- Economic Bright Spots Not a Sure Boost for President Obama
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- US Consumer Borrowing Rose $18.2B in Oct.
- 2014 World Cup Official Noisemakers Quieter than Vuvuzelas
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines