"The Last Ship" comes in on Tuesday. The next night, Sting will start a series of 10 benefit concerts to debut the material from that new album and raise money for The Public Theater.
TELL ME MORE: These evenings of "music and storytelling" will be intimate, performed in the venue's 260-seat Anspacher Theater. The shows are sold out, but there will be 10 free tickets given away via lottery for each show. People can come put their name in between 5:30 and 6 p.m. on the day of the show and names will be drawn at 6. On Oct. 2, Sting is doing a completely free show to celebrate his birthday. He will give out 100 tickets via lottery to members of his fan club.
Sting has also written a musical called "The Last Ship," which will premiere on Broadway in the fall of 2014. The musical, about a longtime sailor who finally returns home to find his lover has left him, has a story by "Red" playwright John Logan and "Next to Normal" writer Brian Yorkey. It will be directed by Joe Mantello, who helmed "Wicked," and feature choreography by Steven Hoggett, who also choreographed "Once." Dates, venue and cast have not been released.
QUOTE: "The Public Theater, a New York institution committed to supporting all of the city's distinct communities, was a natural fit to perform this material that is, at its core, about the importance of community."
-- Sting in a statement
DETAILS: Anspacher Theater, 425 Lafayette St. 212-539-8500 or public theater.org.
MORE INFO: sting.com.
-- Kara Yorio and The Associated Press
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- Amanda Bynes Enrolls in California's FIDM
- How to Arm Yourself Against CryptoLocker Virus