The debut of the five-axis equipment, a
Of course, the machine is designed to be used for standard three-axis milling as well as for full five-axis operation. This flexibility makes it the ideal choice in any machine shop where five-axis operation is not expected to be the full-time use of the machine but where the user wants the option to offer this service to his customers.
Five-axis machining continues to become more popular as companies become more aware of its ability to boost productivity by increasing efficiency, improving quality and shortening delivery times. Five-axis capabilities that were once only available on large machines are now available on the smaller machining centres used by sub-contractors and toolmakers.
At the same time, developments in five-axis machining software, including the
The first advantage of five-axis machines is that they enable shorter cutters to be used since the head of the machine tool can be lowered towards the job and the cutter oriented towards the surface. These shorter cutters minimize vibration, allowing higher cutting speeds to be used with no loss in accuracy.
Another major benefit of five-axis machining is the ability to machine complex shapes in a single set-up. This saves considerable time compared to performing the job in a series of set-ups. Furthermore, with multiple set-ups, there is always a possibility of incorrect alignment each time the part is moved. With more complex parts, special fixtures need to be made to hold the component firmly during machining. By reducing the number of set-ups, five-axis machining can also save the time and cost of making a multitude of fixtures.
Most Popular Stories
- Grizzly Bears Could Be Taken Off Endangered List
- Ford Plans New Cars, Jobs in 2014
- 'Rape Insurance' Bill Passes in Michigan
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- Gold, Silver Slide on Prospects of Fed Exit
- Ted Cruz Coloring Book Selling Briskly
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- Kim Jong Un's Uncle Executed
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Podesta Likely to Reject Keystone XL