Sept. 22--A Gujarati film which did not run even for a week when it was released in multiplexes in Ahmedabad in July is India's official entry to Oscar 2014 in the 'Foreign Language Film category.
shot entirely in Kutch district of Gujarat, was picked unanimously after a five-hour meeting of the Film Federation of India-appointed 19-member Oscar selection committee headed by celebrated Bengali filmmaker Gautam Ghose.
The movie -- certified 'Adult' due to the foul language used by various characters -- left behind 21 other contenders, including strong competitors like Malayalam film ' and Bengali film
Based on a lost-and-found story around an eight-year-old boy, the film directed by newcomer Gyan Correa (42) and produced by the National Film Development Corporation, was little known till it won the National Award for the Best Feature Film (Gujarati) earlier this year even before it hit the big screens.
The only well-known actor in , which has English subtitles, is Sonali Kulkarni who has worked in mainstream Hindi, Marathi and Gujarati films, and plays the mother of the lost child.
While Academy Award winner Resul Pookutty is the man behind the sound designing of , a collage of several stories entwined together by a common premise, a highway, Rajat Dholakia has composed the music.
He told that after was released in Mumbai, Kutchis in the metropolis had complained that the teen-aged prostitutes shown in the film were not part of the culture of Kutch till the film-makers said that the scenes were irrelevant to the main track of the story.
(c)2013 the Khaleej Times (Dubai, United Arab Emirates)
Visit the Khaleej Times (Dubai, United Arab Emirates) at www.khaleejtimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Potential Snags to the Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Adam Levine Wins Big as 'The Voice' Crowns Champ
- Archer Daniels Midland Moving HQ to Chicago
- From Fiscal Cliff to Female Head of GM: 2013 in Review
- U.S. Home Construction Hammers Out 5-Year High
- Budget Deal on Brink of Passing in Senate
- Wine Collector Convicted of Making Fake Vintages
- Apple: Disney Animation iPad App Best of 2013
- William Morris Endeavor Eats up IMG
- Mega Millions Winning Tickets Sold in Atlanta, San Jose