"I regret that there was a period in the early 2000s when we were so focused on what we had to do around Windows that we weren't able to redeploy talent to the new device called the phone," Ballmer said in a conference with analysts.
"That is thing I regret the most," he repeated, adding "It would have been better for Windows and our success in other foreign factors."
The smartphone and tablet computer market is currently dominated by Apple's iPhone and iPad and by devices powered by
In telephones, the company is counting on the recently announced acquisition of Finnish mobile telephone company
The company's Surface tablet failed to win over buyers last year and
A new generation of the tablet is to be unveiled Monday.
Beyond mobile devices, Ballmer said,
Ballmer took over as CEO of
Most Popular Stories
- SpaceX's Satellite Launch Is 'Game-Changer'
- Reid Confident Congress to Pass Immigration Bill
- Maui Visitor Killed in Shark Attack
- Donors Abandon GOP Over Gun Stance
- Mexico: 'Extremely Dangerous' Radioactive Material Stolen
- CEOs More Optimistic About Economy, Hiring
- Climate Change Early Warning System Urged
- Private Sector Employment Surges by 215,000 Jobs
- Newtown 911 Tapes Being Released Today
- Wisconsin Gov. Campaign Aide Fired Over Tweets