By Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class
"Comedy is the Cure" featured comedian Bernie McGrenahan, who has been feature on "Late Night with
The event is part of his "Comedy with a Message" tour and it's geared toward educating service members about the dangers of drug and alcohol abuse as well as suicide prevention.
"I came to entertain and share a personal story about how having no plan will end up ruining your night," said McGrenahan. "When you're under stress drinking can make any situation worse."
During his presentation, McGrenahan gave insight into his experiences and lessons he's learned. He said his goal was to steer people in the direction of a better life.
"Drinking can lead to poor decisions," said McGrenahan. "It can lead to drugs and blur the lines of consent between people."
Chief Aviation Structural Mechanic Sheila Dingler,
"This event has had a measurable impact on our fleet and
Dingler went on to explain her experience with the event when she attended.
"I attended last year and it was fantastic," said Dingler.
McGrenahan closed the event with a few words of wisdom that apply not only to Sailors but also all people.
"No matter how you think the night may go have a plan," said McGrenahan. "And most importantly you need to respect each other and trust the people you're with."
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- Amanda Bynes Enrolls in California's FIDM
- How to Arm Yourself Against CryptoLocker Virus
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines