Sept. 02--IN ITS GLORY DAYS -- the '80s -- Quarterflash lived out a musical fantasy living in Los Angeles and touring with Elton John, Linda Ronstadt and other notable rock artists around the country.
The band's platinum-selling debut, "Quarterflash," released in 1981, and its second album, "Take Another Picture," released in 1983, featured five Top 40 songs, including the hit "Harden My Heart."
At the core of the rock band was Portland-based couple Marv and Rindy Ross. Today, the husband and wife -- they've been married nearly 42 years -- split their time between homes in Portland and Bend and continue to write music and tour at a more leisurely pace.
Quarterflash, featuring Marv on guitar, Rindy on vocals and saxophone, along with guitarist Doug Fraser, drummer Gregg Williams, bassist Denny Bixby and harmony vocalist and sax player Melanie Kubik, will present music from the band's early albums and some new material at 6 p.m. Friday, Sept. 6, in the amphitheater at Bear Creek Park, Highland Drive and Siskiyou Boulevard, Medford. The concert is free.
"Love Is A Road," Quarterflash's seventh album, is due out Sept. 1, but prerelease copies may be available at the concert.
The album features the band's signature, psychedelic '60s rock, but lyrically it's a good statement of where the band is at now, Marv says.
The song "I Can't Help Myself" is about the Ross' lifelong love affair with music, and the title track is a summation of their marriage.
"Musically, there's some stuff on there that looks forward," Marv says. "Some of the rock 'n' roll has hip-hop beats, and some have what I would call 'Seattle-influenced grunge.' "
-- Teresa Thomas
(c)2013 the Mail Tribune (Medford, Ore.)
Visit the Mail Tribune (Medford, Ore.) at www.mailtribune.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign