Spanish grosses huge in US debut --> By ADRIANA GOMEZ LICON
MEXICO CITY - English speakers need subtitles to understand the movie and probably Google to know where they've seen the star, if at all.
But this comedy featuring a Mexican actor whose shows have been a TV staple in Mexico for years has taken Hollywood by surprise.
The movie "Instructions Not Included," with Eugenio Derbez as actor, director and one of the writers, has turned in the biggest Spanish-language opening ever in the U.S., according to studio estimates Monday.
It took in $10 million and ranked fifth at the box office, competing with blockbusters such as "The Butler" and Disney animation "Planes" that were shown in 10 times more theaters.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Futures Fall, Holiday Spending and Unemployment Up
- Budget Deal Will Cut 220,000 Californians Out of Jobless Benefits
- Senate Not So Keen on Budget Deal
- Oil Nears $98 a Barrel
- PhD Project Grooms Business Profs
- Selena Gomez, Shakira Among Top Hispanic Searches
- GM to Stop Making Autos in Australia