Ragtime music was tremendously popular, and it flourished for more than 20 years. When the music publishing industry, called "Tin Pan Alley," began selling rags in the late 1800's, the music was too complicated for the average pianist to play. Sheet music had to be considerably simplified for sales. Ragtime musicians often earned substantial income by teaching the ragtime style.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- Venezuelan Officials Banned From Traveling in U.S.
- WWE Showing Off Its Muscles
- As Jobs Market Strengthens, Many Don't Feel It
- Target Taps Pepsi Exec as New CEO
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- House Votes to Sue Obama
- Hispanic Arts Leaders Unite Across the Border
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian