Ragtime music was tremendously popular, and it flourished for more than 20 years. When the music publishing industry, called "Tin Pan Alley," began selling rags in the late 1800's, the music was too complicated for the average pianist to play. Sheet music had to be considerably simplified for sales. Ragtime musicians often earned substantial income by teaching the ragtime style.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- Eric Garcia Appointed as Revenue Chief
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls