Ragtime music was tremendously popular, and it flourished for more than 20 years. When the music publishing industry, called "Tin Pan Alley," began selling rags in the late 1800's, the music was too complicated for the average pianist to play. Sheet music had to be considerably simplified for sales. Ragtime musicians often earned substantial income by teaching the ragtime style.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Cantwell Targets Gender Gap in Small-Business Loans
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Josh Gordon Loses Appeal, Out for Season
- Pending Home Sales in U.S. Rise in Hopeful Sign
- Visual Search Sounds Cool, Remains Elusive
- Texans Look for Perry-Cruz Showdown in 2016
- Chrysler Gets Nod as a Top Employer for Hispanic Women