Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research from ESRF, "After rubbing, P3HT crystalline domains show a preferential face-on orientation ((010) contact plane) and the chains align parallel to the rubbing direction. CdSe nanorods also align parallel to the rubbing direction, but the level of alignment is a function of their concentration in the polymer matrix: the lower their concentration, the higher the level of in-plane orientation of both the nanorods and the polymer chains. GIXD and electron diffraction suggest that CdSe nanorods adopt a preferential contact plane on the substrate after rubbing. The high in-plane alignment of the nanorods is mainly due to the orientation of the surrounding P3HT matrix. In particular, low dose HR-TEM shows that the local orientation of individual NRs matches the orientation of the surrounding pi-stacked P3HT chains."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "For a high NR concentration, bundling of NRs into larger aggregates prevents their efficient alignment by rubbing."
For more information on this research see: Large-Scale Simultaneous Orientation of CdSe Nanorods and Regioregular Poly(3-hexylthiophene) by Mechanical Rubbing. Macromolecules, 2013;46(15):6177-6186. Macromolecules can be contacted at: Amer Chemical Soc,
Our news journalists report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- General Dynamics Plans 200 New Jobs in N.M.
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- U.S. Stocks Rise on Sysco Acquisition
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Tech Giants Call for Controls on Government Snooping
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option