Below are Senator Heinrich's remarks:
I want to commend Senator Shaheen and Senator Portman for their work to bring this legislation to the floor. And I want to thank Chairman Wyden and Ranking Member Murkowski for their leadership on this issue in the Energy Committee as well.
Fully half of all the energy we use in this great country is wasted. That is a fact we can no longer ignore.
Each one of us is able to make changes in our daily lives to increase our energy efficiency. There is no kilowatt-hour more valuable than the one you don't use in the first place. But it's clear that we need to do more than simply turning off the lights when we leave the house, to be a leader in the world in this field.
As the largest energy consumer in
Over the summer, I had the opportunity and privilege of joining the
We presented them with the Better Buildings Award on behalf of the
What the team at the Desalination Research Facility accomplished was truly impressive and an example of just what is possible with legislation like this.
They were able to save approximately 300,000 kilowatt-hours per year... an annual saving of
I'd also like to touch on another area of rapid energy innovation relevant to this bill -- the lighting sector. Lighting consumes 22 percent of
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Pacific Trade Pact Delay Hinders U.S. Pivot to Asia
- Californians Want to Legalize Marijuana
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- Scripps Shares Rise on Reported Bid Talks
- Budget Deal Sets Off Grumbles in Both Houses