The news reporters obtained a quote from the research from NIPER, "Proof of concept for core-shell type structure was established by visual techniques like confocal microscopy and TEM. Characterization was done for particle size, encapsulation efficiency, drug loading and in vitro drug release. Cellular uptake was assessed using confocal microscopy, bio-TEM and HPLC assay, and cytotoxic activity was tested by MTT assay in MG-63 osteosarcoma cells. The optimized core-shell nanoparticles showed a particle size of 243 nm (PDI-0.13) and encapsulation efficiency of 40.5% with a drug loading of 8.5% w/w. In vitro drug release studies showed a sustained release for 12 h. Cellular uptake studies indicated a rapid and efficient uptake within 2 h. TEM studies indicated that the core-shell nanoparticles were localized in cytoplasm region of the cells. Gemcitabine loaded core-shell nanoparticles showed enhanced cytotoxicity against MG-63 cells as compared to marketed formulation of gemcitabine (GEMCITEA ®)."
According to the news reporters, the research concluded: "These results indicate that core-shell nanoparticles can be a good carrier system for delivering hydrophilic drugs like gemcitabine successfully to the cells with enhanced efficacy."
For more information on this research see: BSA-PLGA-Based Core-Shell Nanoparticles as Carrier System for Water-Soluble Drugs.
Our news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- 2014 World Cup Official Noisemakers Quieter than Vuvuzelas
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- It's No Yolk: Food-tech Startups Take Aim at Replacing Eggs
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief