The patent's inventors are Brunner, Lorenz (
This patent was filed on
From the background information supplied by the inventors, news correspondents obtained the following quote: "The invention relates generally to medical implants, especially medical implants eliciting a benign body response.
"Although 'conventional' UHMWPE has an excellent clinical record, the maximum lifetime of implant systems is restricted due to the wear particles released from the UHMWPE bearing surface (Willert H. G., Bertram H., Buchhorn G. H., Clin Orthop 258, 95, 1990). The negative biological effects of wear particles are considered to be the most important limiting factors for a long implant life. The liberation of sub micron size wear debris into human tissue leads to chronic inflammation. Continuous inflammation caused by UHMWPE particles activates inflammatory cells (macrophages) that stimulate bone resorptive cells (osteoclasts) and eventually a loosening of the implant.
"In the 1970s, highly crosslinked UHMWPEs have been introduced with the intention of improving the wear resistance of the material (Oonishi H., Kadoya Y., Masuda S.,
Most Popular Stories
- Mazda Leads the Pack for Fuel Efficiency
- Prius Among Insurance Institute's 39 Top Safety Vehicles
- 2014 Will Be 'Breakthrough Year' for U.S., Obama Says
- Target Overwhelmed by Worried Customers
- Nigella Bites Back Over 'Vilification'
- Judge Grants Order, Keeping Tonsil Surgery Tragedy Girl on Ventilator
- 'American Hustle' Review
- First Family Arrives for Hawaiian Island Holiday
- Congress Ends Turbulent Year with Approving IRS Chief
- Renewable Energy Group to Acquire Syntroleum