A crime reporting software that can trigger multiple alerts to warn members of the public has been created in Runyenjes, Embu town.
The helpline smart card can trace the crime victim's location, identity and release SMS alerts and tweets to help broadcast the crime to those following the network.
To access the service, one has to purchase a Sh100 smart card which enables a toll free service.
The Kenya Polytechnic graduate said in the event one doesn't have the local county helpline number, you can send an SMS with the name of the county to the indicated number.
The system then responds by providing the appropriate hotline.
"Once you make the call, it goes through a speedy caller screening system which will reveal caller one's identity.
"The police officer who will receive it will actually refer to you by your real name. The police will also record the nature of the crime and trigger off an SMS that will send tweets," said
According to him, the system is an ideal way to deal with crime as it cannot be abused since police can trace the source.
He presented the idea to Police Inspector General
To install the gadget, the county requires Sh1million worth of equipment which
"It is a community policing project and I encourage members of the public to support it so that it can serve them. It is cheaper than when one installs alarm systems and CCTV cameras. For Sh100 we can reduce crime," he said.
Embu police boss
"It will help members of the public participate more in crime fight. Having word out there that a crime is happening would intimidate criminals," he said.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- GM to Stop Making Autos in Australia
- Selena Gomez, Shakira Among Top Hispanic Searches
- PhD Project Grooms Business Profs
- How Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies Work
- How to Survive a Subzero Stranding
- It's Primary Time in Texas
- Pacific Trade Pact Delay Hinders U.S. Pivot to Asia