Sept. 18--Author and comedian Darryl Littleton will present his book, "Black Comedians on Black Comedy: How African-Americans Taught Us to Laugh," and perform a short comedic routine in the A.K. Smiley Library Assembly Room on Tuesday at 6 p.m.
"'Comedy Now & Then & Forever' is a hilarious, informative 90-minute ride through the story of black and female comedy," said adult services librarian Daniel Slota in a press release. "The veteran comedian brings his Showtime documentary, 'Why We Laugh' to show us why we do laugh. Then he gives us a laugh-filled telling of comedy, followed by a no-question-is-off-limits Q & A and concluding with a live stand-up comedy show.
"It's fun for the entire family."
There'll be books for sale afterward and a chance to get an autograph from the author.
In his book, Littleton traces the history and evolution of black comedy in his narrative and through the 125 interviews he conducted with some of the top African-American comedians in the world.
Those interviewed include Dick Gregory, Sinbad, Eddie Murphy, Mike Epps, Cedric the Entertainer, Nick Cannon, Bernie Mac, Eddie Griffin, Damon Wayans, Arsenio Hall, Chris Rock, Marla Gibbs, Robert Townsend and John Witherspoon.
Littleton began his comedy career writing sketches for "The Tom Joyner Morning Show" on CBS Radio.
During his tenure there, he became a regular at the world famous Comedy Store and adopted the stage name "D'Militant" for his slicing and incisive social and political commentary.
Littleton's comedic talents also landed him in front of the camera, where he guest starred on Robert Townsend's WB sitcom, "The Parent Hood" and was a recurring performer on Townsend's variety show "Townsend Television" for Fox.
Littleton also appeared on "The Apollo Comedy Hour," "Uptown Comedy Club," HBO's "Def Comedy Jam," Comedy Central's "Make Me Laugh," Telemundo's "Loco Comedy Jam," Byron Allen's "Comic's Unleashed" and ABC's "America's Funniest People" where he was the grand prize winner.
A.K. Smiley Library is at 125 W. Vine St. in Redlands, and the Assembly Room is on the south side of the building facing the Lincoln Shrine.
There is no charge to attend.
(c)2013 the Redlands Daily Facts (Redlands, Calif.)
Visit the Redlands Daily Facts (Redlands, Calif.) at www.redlandsdailyfacts.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Beyonce' Tops the U.S. Album Chart
- Archer Daniels Midland Moving HQ to Chicago
- Adam Levine Wins Big as 'The Voice' Crowns Champ
- Singer Ian Watkins Sentenced to 35 Years Prison for Child Sex Abuse
- Universal CityWalk Rings in 2014 with Southern California's Biggest New Year's Eve Party, Featuring Dazzling Fireworks Displays, Three Live Concert Stages, DJ Performances and a Midnight Cascade of 1,000 Pounds of Confetti
- Contest Gives Startups a Jump in Jersey
- The Illuminati Don't Exist, Just Ask Them
- SAC Capital Employee Guilty of Insider Trading
- Senate Sends Bipartisan Budget Plan to President
- Fed Signals Strong Confidence in U.S. Economy