Americans are ho-hum over whether Democrats or Republicans do a better job managing the U.S. economy, a Gallup poll released Tuesday indicated.
Forty-two percent of respondents say they believe Democrats would do a better job keeping the country prosperous, just a percentage point behind those who say they think Republicans have the edge, survey results said.
The results show a drop in the belief that Democrats can better handle the country's problems from a Gallup poll a year ago. However, a review of the two polls' results indicates Republicans aren't picking up any ground.
Forty-five percent of those polled said they believe the Republican Party is better on protecting the country against terrorism and military threats while 39 percent said the Democrats are better.
The Democratic Party maintains a slight edge, 39 percent to 34 percent, on the question of which party is better able to handle the nation's top problem. Last year, 49 percent said they believed the Democrats were the better choice to handle the country's most important problem.
However, Gallup said, 34 percent said Republicans are better on addressing the nation's top problem, down from 39 percent last year.
Results are based on nationwide telephone interviews with 1,510 adults conducted Sept. 5-8. The margin of error is 3 percentage points.
Copyright 2013 United Press International, Inc. (UPI).
Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Original Headline: Poll: Americans ho-hum about Dems, GOP in key areas
Most Popular Stories
- Obama's Delay on Immigration Creates Uncertainty
- Obama on Labor Day: Don't Take Rights for Granted
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- California Passes First US Statewide Bag Ban
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- Buyer's Remorse on Common Core for Policymakers?
- Mexico's Pemex Forecasts 6.7% Drop in 2014 Crude Production
- American Airlines Back on Obitz
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps