Inflation remained tame in August
(Published: 17-Sep 2013 6:15 AM, Received: 6:15:19 AM)
Word Count: 245
Consumer prices rose a marginal 0.1 percent July to August with food prices up and energy prices falling, the Labor Department said Tuesday.
Although food prices rose 0.1 percent month to month, energy prices dropped 0.3 percent, with the 12-month rate for energy prices at minus 0.1 percent.
Core prices, which exclude energy and food inflation, climbed 0.1 percent from July and 1.8 percent from August 2012, in line with expectations.
The Labor Department said prices for new vehicles were flat month to month, while prices for used vehicles dropped for the fourth consecutive month. Following a 0.4 percent drop in June and July, used car prices fell 0.1 percent in August, the department said.
Overall transportation costs were down 0.5 percent, while prices for shelter moved higher, climbing 0.2 percent from July.
From a year earlier, prices are up 2.4 percent for shelter and 2.5 percent for transportation. Medical care services, up 0.7 percent from July, are up 3.1 percent from August 2012. Utility prices are up 4.8 percent from a year earlier.
Food prices rose 0.1 percent overall with fruits and vegetables up 1.2 percent after advancing 1.5 percent in July. Dairy and related products were 0.4 percent higher in August after falling in July by 0.3 percent.
The home food index, separate from restaurant prices, is up 1 percent over 12 months. Food away from home rose 0.2 percent from July and has climbed 2 percent since August 2012.
Copyright 2013 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Original headline: Inflation remained tame in August
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- Cold Dis-comfort: Antarctica Set Record of -135.8
- Slow Week Ahead of December FOMC Meeting
- Uruguay Gets Ready for Legal Marijuana
- Oldaker Takes Center Stage at Entrepreneur Awards
- Obama Delivers Speech at Mandela Memorial: Transcript
- Hispanics Seek to Grow School Board Members
- 'Knockout Game': Myth or Menace?
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim