Sept. 16--Cassandra Sanchez, an Arizona Western College student, recently had the opportunity to represent Yuma in this year's national Hispanic College Quiz show.
Martha Martinez, professor of Spanish at AWC, accompanied Sanchez on the trip and said that it was exciting and also nerve-racking to get prepared for the contest. Martinez explained that she served as Sanchez's coach while she was going through makeup, taping of interviews and also the taping of the show.
Martinez described the show as a multiple choice competition with questions in areas including art, music, literature, film, sports, television, theater, performing arts, politics, quotes, Hispanic women, organizations, chapters, business and geography.
Sanchez competed against 11 other colleges and universities from Tennessee, Colorado, the District of Columbia, Texas, Illinois, California, New Jersey and New Mexico.
"It was a great experience for me and for (Cassandra)," said Martinez. "We were both learning about the contributions many Hispanics have made in the United States."
Taped in August in Chicago, the show will air across the country during Hispanic Heritage Month, with showings in Yuma on KSWT on Saturday, Sept. 21, at 5 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. and on Sunday, Sept. 22, at 9 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. The show will also be rebroadcast on Oct. 13 from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
Sarah Womer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 539-6858. Find her on Facebook at Facebook.com/YSSarahWomer or on Twitter at @YSSarahWomer.
(c)2013 The Sun (Yuma, Ariz.)
Visit The Sun (Yuma, Ariz.) at www.yumasun.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Original headline: AWC student competes in Hispanic quiz show
Most Popular Stories
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Social Media Causee Sleep Deprivation in Students
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Unexpectedly
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study
- General Electric Plans IPO of Credit Card Unit
- 'Candy Crush' Maker Files IPO
- SXSW Crash Kills 2, Injures 23
- First-time U.S. Jobless Claims Hit 3-month Low
- U.S. Business Inventories Up, Retail Sales Down