Behind closed doors, by invitation only meetings, Nagra is showing its 'Project Ultra' approach in content navigation and discovery, specifically designed for the 4K environment.
The new user interface, navigation and (social) recommendation software is designed to 'minimize any interference with the content', because Nagra believes '4K is all about immersive viewing'. However, isnt this something that should be obvious in all interface design.
Navigation and discovery takes place on both the television set and companion devices. Voice and gesture control are to make for optimised content navigation, rounded off with an anticipation engine that places the most relevant content on the first plane.
On the other half of the stand SMARDTV shows several proof-of-concept applications enabled by its new CI+ 1.4 Conditional Access Module. Using an early implementation Philips TV by TP Vision, the module enables IPTV on top of regular digital broadcasts. This is the TV is connected directly a managed multicast enabled network.
The SmarDTV CI Plus CAM is responsible for network discovery and for launching the operator-designed EPG in an OIPF-specified browser. The content is received by the iDTV using multicast IP transmission and would be forwarded to the CAM for descrambling. Hook it up to an SAT>IP IP-LNB(f) for direct IP to the TV. A regular set-top box converting up to eight channels to IP-streams, according to the SAT>IP delivery protocol, with the CI+ 1.4 module providing security for the streams going to other devices.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise