Fraunhofer IIS, the audio experts behind MP3, are leading the innovation of audio codec technology for the next generation of digital radio with Extended HE-AAC (xHE-AAC), the latest upgrade to the MPEG AAC family of codecs. Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) is the first global broadcast standard to adopt xHE-AAC. Fraunhofer continues to serve as an industry leader being the first to provide manufacturers with product ready xHE-AAC encoder and low resource decoder implementations for all relevant processor platforms.
xHE-AAC is the first MPEG audio codec to combine speech and general-purpose audio coding in a unified system. This allows for high quality delivery of any type of audio content at virtually any bit rate.
"With standardization in MPEG, xHE-AAC has become the ideal codec for future broadcast systems. We are very happy that Digital Radio Mondiale is the first radio standard adopting the new codec,' said
xHE-AAC provides an improved audio quality for mixed-signal content at ultra-low bit rates as used in DRM AM bands. At the same time xHE-AAC is a superset of the MPEG AAC codec, that is used for all DRM transmissions so far and will remain available as part of the DRM standard.
DRM broadcasters also benefit from a simplified codec configuration process: All quality relevant parameters are automatically optimized internally by the encoder, and the need to change configuration settings depending on the type of audio content being broadcasted is eliminated.
DRM broadcast encoder solutions based on Fraunhofer's ContentServer technology as well as third-party implementations already support xHE-AAC. Broadcasters can select xHE-AAC after a simple software upgrade to their existing equipment. All DRM receiver chipsets belonging to the initial mass-market generation include xHE-AAC from market launch. DRM radios based on these chipsets will be available in 2014.
At IBC in
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise