Open source solutions provider
Available via select Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscriptions, Red Hat Software Collections delivers the newest, most stable versions of open source runtime components to subscribers on a lifecycle that is separate from Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
"By providing a more frequent release cadence of these developer oriented technologies,
Red Hat Enterprise Linux currently ships tools and runtime technologies with its 10-year lifecycle and will continue to do so. Red Hat Software Collections provides access to newer, updated versions of programming languages and open source databases with a three-year lifecycle.
Red Hat Software Collections 1.0 includes Web application development languages such as Ruby 1.9.3 with Rails 3.2.8;
Also included are runtime databases, such as MariaDB 5.5; MySQL 5.5; and PostgreSQL 9.2.
Supported by a Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscription and delivered with a choice of service-level agreements (SLAs), the components offered through Red Hat Software Collections are intended for production use in physical, virtual, and cloud environments.
"To deliver a cutting-edge application, organisations must often choose between innovation and stability, a balancing act that frequently leads to chronic instability or feature stagnation," said
"Red Hat Software Collections tackles this mutual exclusivity by allowing developers to use the latest, stable versions of Python, Ruby, MySQL, and other languages and databases used for modern Web applications, all delivered with the full value and enterprise-grade qualities of a Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscription.
"Additionally, Red Hat Software Collections introduces Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscribers to MariaDB, a database alternative to MySQL."
Most Popular Stories
- 2014 Will Be 'Breakthrough Year' for U.S., Obama Says
- Renewable Energy Group to Acquire Syntroleum
- Climate Change Isn't an Equal Opportunity Destroyer
- Ally Financial Settles Auto Loan Suit
- Kanye, Kardashians and Other Kooks: A Wacky, Tacky, Entertaining Year
- Covered California Lags on Hispanic Enrollment
- Luis Suarez Re-ups With Liverpool F.C.
- Little Risk of Deportation Under Obama
- Gay Athletes Part of U.S. Sochi Group
- Chris Christie Set to Sign Tuition Aid Bill