Sept. 15--BLOOMINGTON -- Filmmaker Ava DuVernay will visit Indiana University, where she will deliver a Jorgensen Guest Filmmaker lecture.
The winner of the 2012 best director award at the Sundance Film Festival, DuVernay is known in independent film circles as a maverick businesswoman for the 2011 launch of her film distribution venture, the African American Film Festival Releasing Movement. The organization uses a network of African-American and African diasporic film festivals to more widely distribute independent films.
"By challenging the terms of participation for black filmmakers in American cinema, AFFRM is, as DuVernay has said, not so much a business as a call to action," IU Cinema Director Jon Vickers said. "We are excited to welcome this trailblazer of independent film to IU. DuVernay has had an unprecedented year since her 2012 Sundance recognition, receiving the 2013 John Cassavetes Award at the Independent Spirits and being named a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences."
DuVernay will lecture 3 p.m. Friday at the IU Cinema, 1213 E. Seventh St.
At 6:30 p.m. today, "This Is the Life," her award-winning directorial debut, will be screened at the cinema. At 7 p.m. Wednesday, "Big Words," Neil Drumming's film documenting three former members of a hip-hop crew who cross paths on the eve of Barack Obama's 2008 election, will be screened. Other films related to DuVernay's visit will be screened including the 7 p.m. Thursday showing of "Venus vs." Also showing at 6:30 p.m. Friday is "Middle of Nowhere" followed by the 9:30 p.m. screening of "I Will Follow."
For more information, check out www.cinema.indiana.edu or call 855-7632.
(c)2013 the Herald-Times (Bloomington, Ind.)
Visit the Herald-Times (Bloomington, Ind.) at www.heraldtimesonline.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise