Total shipments of mobile phones in
The feature phone segment continued to shrink as shipments fell 27% on year to 10.7 million units in the second quarter, while smartphone shipments increased 19% on year to 32.6 million units to represent 75% of total shipments in the region.
LTE-enabled models represented 32% of total mobile phone shipments and 43% of total smartphone shipments in the second quarter in the region, IDC said.
Android continues to be the leading operating system. In the quarter, shipments went up 29% on year to 23.2 million units, which gave Android OS 71% market share. The Ice Cream Sandwich version was the most popular, representing 70% of total Android shipments.
Apple's iOS lost market share due to the expectation of a new iPhone coming out in the third quarter and represented 17.4% of total shipments in the second quarter, lower than the 19.4% of a year earlier. Windows Phones continued to see steady but slow growth, with shipments increasing 48% on year to two million units or 6.3% of total smartphone shipments in the second quarter.
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- How to Arm Yourself Against CryptoLocker Virus
- Amanda Bynes Enrolls in California's FIDM