Republican mega-donor Sheldon Adelson sees a lot he likes in the potential 2016 Republican presidential field so far -- but he doesn't include Sens. Rand Paul or Ted Cruz on his list of top-tier candidates.
"I didn't even know Ted Cruz was potentially a candidate until somebody pointed it out to me the other day," Adelson told the National Journal.
His list of favorites does include Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla.; Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis.; Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker; and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie. Adelson called them all "impressive."
Adelson is a major contributor to Republican causes and candidates, having doled out tens of millions of dollars in the 2012 elections alone, but he isn't quite a kingmaker. Before he donated heavily to Republican Mitt Romney's fail presidential campaign, Adelson bankrolled the failed GOP primary candidacy of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.
(c) 2013 ProQuest Information and Learning Company; All Rights Reserved.
Original headline: GOP mega-donor Sheldon Adelson didn't know Ted Cruz might run for president
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- What to Expect From an Amazon Smartphone
- Clinton Sought GOP Support for Health Plan
- Saucedo Mercer Running on Empty in Arizona
- Spring Salmon Return to San Joaquin
- Auto Parts Plant Opening in Pa., Jobs on Tap
- IPO Market Shows Signs of Settling Down to Earth
- Pakistan Library Dedicated to 'Osama bin Laden, the Martyr'
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001