Republican mega-donor Sheldon Adelson sees a lot he likes in the potential 2016 Republican presidential field so far -- but he doesn't include Sens. Rand Paul or Ted Cruz on his list of top-tier candidates.
"I didn't even know Ted Cruz was potentially a candidate until somebody pointed it out to me the other day," Adelson told the National Journal.
His list of favorites does include Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla.; Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis.; Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker; and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie. Adelson called them all "impressive."
Adelson is a major contributor to Republican causes and candidates, having doled out tens of millions of dollars in the 2012 elections alone, but he isn't quite a kingmaker. Before he donated heavily to Republican Mitt Romney's fail presidential campaign, Adelson bankrolled the failed GOP primary candidacy of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.
(c) 2013 ProQuest Information and Learning Company; All Rights Reserved.
Original headline: GOP mega-donor Sheldon Adelson didn't know Ted Cruz might run for president
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Why the Bond Market Isn't as Safe as You Think
- Royals Beat A's in 12-inning Wild Card Thriller
- Lexus Luxury Compact Sedan Wins Buyers
- Construction Spending Down Again for August
- What to Look for in Mich. Jobs Market
- Obama Seeks Traction From Economic Recovery
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry