Republican mega-donor Sheldon Adelson sees a lot he likes in the potential 2016 Republican presidential field so far -- but he doesn't include Sens. Rand Paul or Ted Cruz on his list of top-tier candidates.
"I didn't even know Ted Cruz was potentially a candidate until somebody pointed it out to me the other day," Adelson told the National Journal.
His list of favorites does include Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla.; Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis.; Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker; and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie. Adelson called them all "impressive."
Adelson is a major contributor to Republican causes and candidates, having doled out tens of millions of dollars in the 2012 elections alone, but he isn't quite a kingmaker. Before he donated heavily to Republican Mitt Romney's fail presidential campaign, Adelson bankrolled the failed GOP primary candidacy of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.
(c) 2013 ProQuest Information and Learning Company; All Rights Reserved.
Original headline: GOP mega-donor Sheldon Adelson didn't know Ted Cruz might run for president
Most Popular Stories
- Florida Warns Beach-goers About Flesh-eating Bacteria
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- LivePro Is a Mobile Hot Spot, Projector in One
- How to Fit Green Energy Into Your Portfolio
- Sanctions Will Hit Russia Hard if Not Lifted Quickly
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- U.S. Economy Grows at Fastest Pace in 10 Years
- Jerry Brown Favors More Shelters for Immigrant Kids
- Business Leaders Set for CHCC Convention