Republican mega-donor Sheldon Adelson sees a lot he likes in the potential 2016 Republican presidential field so far -- but he doesn't include Sens. Rand Paul or Ted Cruz on his list of top-tier candidates.
"I didn't even know Ted Cruz was potentially a candidate until somebody pointed it out to me the other day," Adelson told the National Journal.
His list of favorites does include Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla.; Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis.; Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker; and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie. Adelson called them all "impressive."
Adelson is a major contributor to Republican causes and candidates, having doled out tens of millions of dollars in the 2012 elections alone, but he isn't quite a kingmaker. Before he donated heavily to Republican Mitt Romney's fail presidential campaign, Adelson bankrolled the failed GOP primary candidacy of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.
(c) 2013 ProQuest Information and Learning Company; All Rights Reserved.
Original headline: GOP mega-donor Sheldon Adelson didn't know Ted Cruz might run for president
Most Popular Stories
- Hernandez lawyer: Pats Records Dispute Resolved
- Congress Leaving Town as Deadlines Loom
- Oregon Voters to Decide on Recreational Pot
- 4th Circuit Upholds Obamacare Subsidies
- Fiat, Renault Strike Deal on New Light Vehicle
- Oregon to Vote on Recreational Marijuana
- Senate, House Locking Horns on Border Funds
- A's Agree to 10-Year Lease to Stay in Oakland
- LinkedIn to Buy Ad Tech Company Bizo for $175 Million
- Jeter, Bauer Give Fox a Strong Week in TV Ratings