Sept. 13--The Pasadena Playhouse has announced the cast for its family holiday show, "Aladdin and his Winter Wish."
Ben Vereen of Broadway's "Pippin" and "Jesus Christ Superstar" will star as the Genie in this updated version of the classic Arabian Nights tale.
Jordan Fisher (Disney's "Teen Beach Movie") will star as Aladdin, while Ashley Argota (Nickelodeon's "True Jackson VP") and Richard Karn ("Home Improvement") will play the princess and sultan, respectively. Paul Vogt and Josh Adamson round out the cast.
The show, which brings British panto to L.A. audiences, will feature music from the film "Slumdog Millionaire" and pop star Bruno Mars.
The production is also a family affair backstage: Bonnie Lythgoe of "So You Think You Can Dance" (her former husband, Nigel, is the executive producer of the Fox series) will direct. And son, Kris, wrote the book.
Performances will run Dec. 11 to 29, with a winter carnival, complete with carolers, crafts and games, preceding the show.
The brainchild of Lythgoe Family Productions, "Aladdin" marks the company's second holiday collaboration with the Pasadena Playhouse.
Last winter the two teamed up for "A Snow White Christmas." The sitcom-style spin on the classic fairy tale was penned by Kris Lythgoe and directed by Bonnie. Patriarch Nigel made a video cameo.
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- ecoATM Wins Green at LBA Sol Awards
- Lingerie, Partisanship Mark Fla. House Race
- Can Barra Break GM's Losing Streak?
- Marvel Unveils Slate of Films Through 2019
- IBM OK's $5 Billion Stock Buyback
- Google Working on Pill to Search for Illnesses
- Grey Lady Ghost Appears at 'Game of Thrones' Site
- FBI May Have Found 'Second Snowden'
- World Series Not Gripping to TV Viewers
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Says Apple Pay a Success