Data packages and enterprise class services may now be key to drive business for regional telecom firms.
Voice revenues, traditionally the largest source of profits for telecom providers in the
Prologix works closely with a number of major telcos in the region and states that these operators are all witnessing growing demand for data, cloud and managed services whereas their traditional voice and SMS revenue streams are steadily shrinking.
This reflects a global trend which is captured in a recent report by
"In Q2 this year, smartphone sales in the
"Even businesses are employing technologies such as VoIP and IP telephony to reduce operational expenses. All of this is driving business away from voice services and forcing telcos to look at new offerings," he explains.
But Singh is quick to point out that this shift is actually a blessing in disguise for operators. Over the last two years, regional telcos have all seen increase in data consumption, especially in mature telcom markets such as Saudi Arabia and the
In fact, leading KSA operator,
While home user needs will be best met by better priced data packages and faster mobile internet, it is in the enterprise space that telcos can truly diversify their offerings.
Cloud-based managed services, Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) and point-to-point IP connectivity for remote office locations are all examples of new services that operators can offer customers. Furthermore, telcos have a unique advantage that makes them best positioned to provide these services.
Not only this, cloud services which will soon represent a major investment for enterprises and SMBs alike will be better received if provided by regional telcos who are capable of offering local termination and storage of data. This is especially true in light of the recent 'PRISM' surveillance program which raised concerns regarding data stored in overseas locations.
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- Amanda Bynes Enrolls in California's FIDM
- How to Arm Yourself Against CryptoLocker Virus
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines