Sept. 13--Actress Sharon Stone and actor/writer/director Jon Favreau will be feted at the 2013 Catalina Film Festival, which takes place Sept. 18-22 on Catalina Island.
Stone ("Basic Instinct," "Casino"), who has led fundraising efforts for such charities as amFAR, the Foundation for AIDS Research, will receive the Stanley Kramer "Social Artist" Award on opening night. The late producer/director Kramer made such socially conscious films as "Inherit the Wind" and "On the Beach."
The festival is also screening Kramer's 1971 drama "Bless the Beasts and the Children," which he shot on Catalina, on Sept. 20.
Favreau, who directed the first two "Iron Man" blockbusters, will receive the Charlie Chaplin ICON Award on Sept. 19. Actress Patricia Arquette is scheduled to receive the Career Tribute Award on Sept. 20.
Among the other films featured in the festival are "Best Man Down," "Big Sur," "Yellow," "The Magic Bracelet" and "SNAP."
The festival will pay tribute on Sept. 21 to the late director Tony Scott with a 20th anniversary screening of "True Romance," which stars Arquette and Christian Slater.
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu