Sept. 13--Bridgewater College will host author, musician and screenwriter James McBride for a lecture and concert on Wednesday, Oct. 2, at 7 p.m. in Cole Hall.
The program is free and open to the public.
McBride is best known for his memoir The Color of Water, which remained on the New York Times bestseller list for two years.
McBride's debut novel was Miracle at St. Anna, which was made into a film by director Spike Lee. McBride wrote the script for the film and also co-wrote, with Lee, the film "Red Hook Summer." McBride has also written the novels Song Yet Sung and The Good Lord Bird, about abolitionist John Brown, who was hanged in 1859 after attempting to spark a slave revolt.
McBride is also a former staff writer for The Boston Globe, People Magazine and The Washington Post. His work has appeared in Essence, Rolling Stone and The New York Times.
McBride toured as a saxophonist with jazz legend Jimmy Scott, among others, and has written music and lyrics for Anita Baker, Grover Washington Jr., Purafe and Gary Burton. He received the Stephen Sondheim Award and the Richard Rodgers Foundation Horizon Award for his musical, "Bo-Bos."
McBride is a native of New York who studied composition at The Oberlin Conservatory of Music in Ohio and received his master's degree in journalism from Columbia University. He holds several honorary doctorates and is currently a Distinguished Writer in Residence at New York University.
(c)2013 The News Virginian (Waynesboro, Va.)
Visit The News Virginian (Waynesboro, Va.) at www.newsvirginian.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- 2014 Will Be 'Breakthrough Year' for U.S., Obama Says
- Climate Change Isn't an Equal Opportunity Destroyer
- Renewable Energy Group to Acquire Syntroleum
- Kanye, Kardashians and Other Kooks: A Wacky, Tacky, Entertaining Year
- Luis Suarez Re-ups With Liverpool F.C.
- Covered California Lags on Hispanic Enrollment
- Ally Financial Settles Auto Loan Suit
- Gay Athletes Part of U.S. Sochi Group
- Chris Christie Set to Sign Tuition Aid Bill
- Little Risk of Deportation Under Obama