Sept. 12--Fox's singing contest "The X Factor" was back Wednesday for its third season, with Simon Cowell joined by returning judge Demi Lovato and two newcomers, Destiny's Child's Kelly Rowland and Latin pop artist Paulina Rubio. The series returned with a one-hour telecast, unlike the previous two debuts, which were two hours long.
"The X Factor's" audience fell from last year. Wednesday night's episode drew a total of 6.2 million viewers, down 17% from the first hour of last year's premiere, which brought in 7.5 million, according to preliminary numbers from Nielsen.
The show's rating in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 age group fell 22% from last year to a 2.1.
Fox also aired the finale of "MasterChef," which drew 6.2 million viewers, an increase of 11% from last week, and an 18-49 demo rating of 2.4, making it the highest-rated show across the big networks.
Overall it was a big night for Fox, which was the most-watched network, with 6.18 million viewers and a demo rating of 2.2.
On NBC, "America's Got Talent" narrowed its field to six contestants for next week's finale. The show drew 9.8 million viewers and a rating of 2.1 among 18-49-year-olds, down 9% from last week to tie its season low.
Also on NBC, Australian comedy import "Camp" was flat at 0.9.
CBS's "Big Brother" drew 6.68 million viewers and a rating of 2.2 among 18-49ers, down 4%.
ABC showed all reruns.
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Beyonce' Tops the U.S. Album Chart
- Archer Daniels Midland Moving HQ to Chicago
- Singer Ian Watkins Sentenced to 35 Years Prison for Child Sex Abuse
- Universal CityWalk Rings in 2014 with Southern California's Biggest New Year's Eve Party, Featuring Dazzling Fireworks Displays, Three Live Concert Stages, DJ Performances and a Midnight Cascade of 1,000 Pounds of Confetti
- The Illuminati Don't Exist, Just Ask Them
- Contest Gives Startups a Jump in Jersey
- SAC Capital Employee Guilty of Insider Trading
- Adam Levine Wins Big as 'The Voice' Crowns Champ
- Senate Sends Bipartisan Budget Plan to President
- Fed Signals Strong Confidence in U.S. Economy