Sept. 12--TUPELO -- Get a taste of New Orleans funk, down home Mississippi gospel and African beats at tonight's Down on Main concert.
Como gospel trio The Como Mamas have wowed audiences and critics with its debut record, "Get an Understanding," and the group will open the show.
Mississippi Hill Country Blues meets West African grooves in Afrissippi, a group that includes members from both Mississippi and Senegal.
Bringing the party music is the headlining act, Galactic, a New Orleans funk band. The group, made up of guitarist Jeff Raines, Ben Ellman on harps and horns, bass player Robert Mercurio, drummer and percussionist Stanton Moore and keyboard player Rich Vogel, combines NOLA's colorful sound and blends it with all kinds of genres, depending on who's a guest vocalist, if there is one.
"When we started playing music together, our founding principles were based on New Orleans music and tradition in funky, good time music," Vogel said in a phone interview with the Daily Journal. "We're all into all sorts of music, so we realized, hey, we've gotta figure out what to do with these roots, what can we do with our foundation we built on history."
Galactic's history spans 18 years and many albums, so the band has a big catalog to choose from when it's time to put together a set list. Galactic's latest album, "Carnivale Electricos," was released in February 2012.
"Over the course of 17 years on the road and the new record, it's nice because we can give people the complete Galactic experience," he said. "We're never going to turn our back on what we did in the beginning."
Galactic is "chipping away" at a new album, Vogel said, and the Down on Main audience can expect to hear some of the new tunes. Whether it's an old fan favorite or something they're introducing into the set, fans can expect a high energy set from the group.
"It's party music," he said. "If a New Orleans band's party sounds like fun to you, you should come check us out."
Click here to leave a comment!
(c)2013 the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal (Tupelo, Miss.)
Visit the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal (Tupelo, Miss.) at www.nems360.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11