The news correspondents obtained a quote from the research from Helmholtz-Zentrum, "The characteristic actuation temperatures T(act)s of TMPAs can be adjusted by a purely physical process, guiding a directed crystallization in a temperature range of up to 40 degrees C by variation of the parameter T-sep in a nearly linear correlation. The temperature T-sep divides Delta T-m into an upper T-m range (T > T-sep) forming a reshapeable actuation geometry that determines the skeleton and a lower T-m range (T < T-sep) that enables the temperature-controlled bidirectional actuation by crystallization-induced elongation and melting-induced contraction. The macroscopic bidirectional shape changes in TMPAs could be correlated with changes in the nanostructure of the crystallizable domains as a result of in situ X-ray investigations."
According to the news reporters, the research concluded: "Potential applications of TMPAs include heat engines with adjustable rotation rate and active building facades with self-regulating sun protectors."
For more information on this research see: Temperature-memory polymer actuators. Proceedings of the
Our news journalists report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include: Teltow,
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- ACA Delay Stresses Small Businesses
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- Harley Issues Motorcycle Recall
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- General Dynamics Plans 200 New Jobs in N.M.
- Auto Dealer Builds Big Solar Project
- Entrepreneurs' Next Creation May Be New Laws
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts