Sept. 12--Paula Wagner, best known as Tom Cruise's former longtime producing partner, has been tapped to produce the 5th annual Governors Awards for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
At the gala, Angelina Jolie with be presented with the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award and Angela Lansbury, Steve Martin and costume designer Piero Tosi with be given honorary Oscars.
The non-televised event is scheduled for Nov. 16.
"Paula's expertise, coupled with her love for film, makes her the ideal person to produce this special event," said academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs. "She is certain to deliver an exciting and memorable evening for our honorees and guests."
Wagner's feature film credits include the first three "Mission: Impossible" films, "Vanilla Sky," "The Others" and "The Last Samurai." She also produced the television film "Five" and three Broadway plays.
She and Cruise were also selected to oversee United Artists back in 2006. She stayed in the role of chief executive for two years.
Wagner now produces film and theater through her company Chestnut Ridge Productions.
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- California's Ban on Plastic Bags: What Now?
- Petri Likely Broke House Ethics Rules
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry
- Exxon Gives Nod to Fracking Risks
- Morgan: 'Can't Believe' Wal-Mart Blaming Him
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment
- Wealth Gap Widens as Rich Spend More on Kids' Education
- Can You Be Fired for Using Medical Marijuana?
- Lack of Sea Ice Brings 35,000 Walruses Ashore