Sept. 11--NASHVILLE -- Republican Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey's tweet today charging President Barack Obama with attempting to "ally" the U.S. with al-Qaeda in Syria's civil war is generating demands by Democrats that he apologize.
Ramsey, the Senate speaker, earlier tweeted that "as the president attempts to ally w/ Al-Qaeda in syria's civil war, we must always remember who attacked us on our soil 12 years ago."
Tennessee Democratic Party Chairman Roy Herron condemned Ramsey's message and said Ramsey, the state Senate speaker, "should fire whoever wrote such an outrageous, dishonest, misleading, incendiary, unpatriotic and dangerous attack on our nation's president and on Republican leaders like Senators [Bob] Corker and [John] McCain and House Speaker [John] Boehner and even the military Leaders working with them."
Herron said in his statement that "many of us are unsure about how to proceed in Syria, but whoever wrote that tweet dishonors the victims of 9/11 and our military men and women who are doing all they can to stop more children and parents from being gassed and killed."
State House Minority Leader Craig Fitzhugh, D-Ripley, said Ramsey's "divisive rhetoric dishonors the memory of those who died on this day" and accused the lieutenant governor being either "grossly misinformed or he has decided to be a partisan, instead of a patriot. He should apologize immediately."
(c)2013 the Chattanooga Times/Free Press (Chattanooga, Tenn.)
Visit the Chattanooga Times/Free Press (Chattanooga, Tenn.) at www.timesfreepress.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Original headline: TN Lt. Governor: Obama is trying to 'ally' with al-Qaeda
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Potential Snags to the Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Adam Levine Wins Big as 'The Voice' Crowns Champ
- Archer Daniels Midland Moving HQ to Chicago
- From Fiscal Cliff to Female Head of GM: 2013 in Review
- Budget Deal on Brink of Passing in Senate
- U.S. Home Construction Hammers Out 5-Year High
- Broadband Policies Could Mean 11,000 Jobs
- William Morris Endeavor Eats up IMG
- Wine Collector Convicted of Making Fake Vintages
- Apple: Disney Animation iPad App Best of 2013