Optical Image Stabilization has become an essential feature in today s smartphones and digital still cameras. By moving the lens in real time to compensate for physical movement of the camera, it can significantly improve the sharpness of the image, especially when taking photographs in low light, when hand jitter during the longer exposure time would blur images.
In addition, to assure maximum reliability, the new 2-axis (L2G3IS) and 3-axis (L3G3IS) gyroscopes operate with a resonant frequency of the sensing mass at around 20kHz. As a result of this high resonant frequency in combination with the mechanical structure, the devices are immune to the damage that could be caused by ultrasonic cleaning equipment (typically operating at around 30kHz) that many customers use to clean devices before equipment assembly.
In addition to revolutionizing user interfaces with intuitive gesture recognition, MEMS gyroscopes have brought enormous benefits to hand-held digital photography through optical image stabilization. With the LxG3IS family, ST s proven MEMS manufacturing technology and supply-chain advantage are applied to gyroscopes that are uniquely tailored for image stabilization and offer increased damage protection, said
Other key technical features of the new devices include ±65 dps / ±130 dps full-scale range, SPI digital interface, embedded temperature sensor, and integrated low- and high-pass filters with selectable bandwidth. The devices operate with supply voltage from 2.4V to 3.6V and are housed in an LGA-16 3x3.5x1 mm package.
According to information and analytics firm IHS, ST s total MEMS and sensor sales grew more than 19% in 2012, reaching a total of approximately
The one-stop MEMS supplier of choice, ST offers a comprehensive portfolio of micro-machined accelerometers, gyroscopes, pressure sensors, magnetic sensors, and microphones, and has the capability to integrate these in multi-sensor combos with on-board signal processing, control functions, sensor-fusion algorithms, and wireless connectivity. Not only the clear market leader, ST is also at the forefront of MEMS technology development with more than 800 MEMS-related patent families.
Most Popular Stories
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- 2014 World Cup Official Noisemakers Quieter than Vuvuzelas
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- It's No Yolk: Food-tech Startups Take Aim at Replacing Eggs
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief