A suicide bomber killed three soldiers Wednesday in an attack targeting a military building in Egypt's volatile Sinai Peninsula, security officials said, dpa reported.
The attacker also died in the suicide car bombing outside the military intelligence headquarters in Rafah town near the border with the Palestinian Gaza Strip and Israel, the officials said.
Assailants fired rocket propelled grenades at the building after the explosion.
The attack came a day after the army reportedly killed nine suspected insurgents as part of a major offensive against suspected Islamist insurgents that started in Sinai on Saturday.
The rugged desert peninsula has seen an upsurge in attacks by suspected Islamist militants since the Egyptian military ousted president Mohammed Morsi in July.
Original headline: Suicide bomber kills three in Egypt's Sinai
Most Popular Stories
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Faith Groups Divest From Fossil Fuels
- Notes From the July FOMC Meeting
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- Honda's Safe Approach Pays Off in Sales
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Target Slashes Annual Profit Outlook