A suicide bomber killed three soldiers Wednesday in an attack targeting a military building in Egypt's volatile Sinai Peninsula, security officials said, dpa reported.
The attacker also died in the suicide car bombing outside the military intelligence headquarters in Rafah town near the border with the Palestinian Gaza Strip and Israel, the officials said.
Assailants fired rocket propelled grenades at the building after the explosion.
The attack came a day after the army reportedly killed nine suspected insurgents as part of a major offensive against suspected Islamist insurgents that started in Sinai on Saturday.
The rugged desert peninsula has seen an upsurge in attacks by suspected Islamist militants since the Egyptian military ousted president Mohammed Morsi in July.
Original headline: Suicide bomber kills three in Egypt's Sinai
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11