A suicide bomber killed three soldiers Wednesday in an attack targeting a military building in Egypt's volatile Sinai Peninsula, security officials said, dpa reported.
The attacker also died in the suicide car bombing outside the military intelligence headquarters in Rafah town near the border with the Palestinian Gaza Strip and Israel, the officials said.
Assailants fired rocket propelled grenades at the building after the explosion.
The attack came a day after the army reportedly killed nine suspected insurgents as part of a major offensive against suspected Islamist insurgents that started in Sinai on Saturday.
The rugged desert peninsula has seen an upsurge in attacks by suspected Islamist militants since the Egyptian military ousted president Mohammed Morsi in July.
Original headline: Suicide bomber kills three in Egypt's Sinai
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- GM to Stop Making Autos in Australia
- Selena Gomez, Shakira Among Top Hispanic Searches
- PhD Project Grooms Business Profs
- How Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies Work
- It's Primary Time in Texas
- How to Survive a Subzero Stranding
- Pacific Trade Pact Delay Hinders U.S. Pivot to Asia