Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research, "Eight materials, based on copper or iron oxides, were selected for screening tests of CLC processes using coal and methane as fuels. Thermogravimetric experiments and bench-scale fixed-bed reactor tests were conducted to investigate the oxygen transfer capacity, reaction kinetics, and stability during cyclic reduction/oxidation reaction. Most natural minerals showed lower combustion capacity than pure CuO/Fe2O3 due to low-concentration of active oxide species in minerals. In coal CLC, chryscolla (Cu-based), magenetite, and limonite (Fe-based) demonstrated better reaction performance than other materials. The addition of steam improved the coal CLC performance when using natural ores because of the steam gasification of coal and the subsequent reaction of gaseous fuels with active oxide species in the natural ores. In methane CLC, chryscolla, hematite, and limonite demonstrated excellent reactivity and stability in 50-cycle thermogravimetric analysis tests. Fe2O3-based ores process greater oxygen utilization but require an activation period before achieving full performance in methane CLC."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "Particle agglomeration issues associated with the application of natural ores in CLC process were also studied by scanning electron microscopy (SEM)."
For more information on this research see: Natural Ores as Oxygen Carriers in Chemical Looping Combustion.
The news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained from
Keywords for this news article include: Alkanes, Methane, Minerals,
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- 2014 World Cup Official Noisemakers Quieter than Vuvuzelas
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics