Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research, "The current effort is developing further understanding of the problem specifically as applied to future lean-burning, very low-emissions aircraft engine combustors. A prototype low-emissions aircraft engine combustor with a combustion instability has been identified and previous work has characterized the combustor's dynamic behavior. The combustor exhibits thermoacoustic instabilities related to increasing fuel flow that prevent full-power operation. Active combustion instability suppression using the adaptive sliding phasor average control method has been demonstrated experimentally with this combustor prototype in a combustion test cell operating at engine pressures, temperatures, and flows. A high-frequency fuel valve perturbed the combustor fuel flow. Successful instability suppression was shown using a dynamic pressure sensor in the combustor for controller feedback. Instability control was also shown with a pressure feedback sensor in the lower temperature region, upstream of the combustor."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "It was also demonstrated that the controller can prevent the instability from occurring while combustor operation was transitioning from a stable low-power condition to a normally unstable high-power condition, thus enabling the high-power condition."
For more information on this research see: Active Combustion Control for a Low-Emissions Aircraft Engine Combustor Prototype: Experimental Results.
The news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained from
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- 2014 World Cup Official Noisemakers Quieter than Vuvuzelas
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics