Patent number 8524230 is assigned to
The following quote was obtained by the news editors from the background information supplied by the inventors: "Ocular inflammatory disease (OID) is a general term embracing a number of diseases and conditions in which inflammation affects the eye or surrounding tissues. The diagnostic name given to an OID is typically based on the location of the ocular inflammation. For example, uveitis is inflammation in the uveal tract; scleritis is inflammation of the sclera, pars planitis is inflammation of the pars plana, and so forth. OIDs cause pain, irritation, and watering, and may result in loss of visual function. For example, uveitis is the third leading cause of blindness in the developed world. OIDs can be caused by infections, malignancy, exposure to toxins, response to surgery or injury, and autoimmune disorders.
"A number of autoimmune diseases exist in which the eye or various parts of the eye becomes a target for an immune-mediated inflammatory attack. Patients with an autoimmune-mediated OID (AOID) often exhibit cellular and humoral responses to retinal antigens such as retinal arrestin (retinal soluble antigen, S--Ag), interphotoreceptor retinoid binding protein (IRB), and antigens related to melanin and its metabolism, including GP100, MART1, TRP1 and TRP2 (Pennesi, G. et al. (2003)
"Often, OID is a manifestation of a systemic autoimmune disease, and the eye is one of a variety of organs throughout the body that are being attacked. Examples of such systemic autoimmune diseases include rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, polyarteritis nodosa, relapsing polychondritis, Wegener's granulomatosis, sclerodemia, Behcet's disease, Reiter's disease, inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease) and ankylosing spondylitis. However, the eye may be the specific and only target affected in autoimmune diseases such as ocular cicatricial pemphigoid, Mooren's corneal ulcer, and various forms of uveitis.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response