Our news editors obtained a quote from the research from the Faculty of Medicine, "Because PpIX after photoactivation produces reactive oxygen species (ROS), ALA-AuNPs combinations can enhance this production and then induce higher phototoxicity. With this aim, two different-sized AuNPs (14 and 136nm, AuNP1 and AuNP2, respectively) were successfully synthesized and characterized by UV-visible spectrophotometry and transmission electron microscopy. AuNPs were combined with ALA to evaluate their cooperative action in the intracellular ROS production, cell viability, and cell death mechanism. ALA-AuNPs combinations induced cell death via ROS-mediated apoptosis after PDT."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "When exposed to light at their resonance wavelength, AuNP2 combined with ALA result in cytotoxicity and cell injury in greater extension than ALA and ALA-AuNP1 combination."
For more information on this research see: Cooperative effect of 5-aminolevulinic acid and gold nanoparticles for photodynamic therapy of cancer.
The news editors report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include: Biotechnology, Spain,
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- Scripps Shares Rise on Reported Bid Talks
- Budget Deal Sets Off Grumbles in Both Houses
- Bipartisan Negotiators Reach Modest Budget Agreement
- Californians Want to Legalize Marijuana
- Health Care Signups Picked up Pace in November