For the first time since introducing the iPhone, Apple is offering two distinct versions.
A cheaper version is made of plastic and another aims to be ``the gold standard of smartphones'' and reads your fingerprint.
Apple unveiled the latest iPhone models -- available on
The move comes as the company tries to fend off Samsung and other competitors that want to challenge Apple in the competitive smartphone market.
The lower-cost iPhone 5-C is expected to help boost sales in
The second phone -- the 5-S -- will come in silver, gold and ``space grey'' and run a new chip said to be up to twice as fast as the one in current iPhones.
Apple also says its next mobile operating system, i-O-S 7, will be available as a free download on
Most Popular Stories
- Slow Week Ahead of December FOMC Meeting
- Hispanics Seek to Grow School Board Members
- 'Knockout Game': Myth or Menace?
- U.S. Companies Eager for Iranian Business
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- Banks Fret as Volcker Vote Approaches
- Entrepreneurs' Next Creation May Be New Laws
- GM Bailout Saved 1.2 Million U.S. Jobs, Report Says
- Bitcoin Used to Buy Tesla Car
- Paul Walker Fans Pay Respects