BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwired) -- 09/10/13 -- Corporates playing in the solar and energy storage sectors have long dreamt of combining the two complementary technologies to differentiate products and defend margins. This symbiotic match shows promise, yielding a $2.8 billion market over the next five years, according to Lux Research.
Grid-tied solar installations will comprise 675 MW, or nearly 95% of the combined 711 MW market, while off-grid applications including telecom power claim the remaining 5%. While the off-grid market enjoys higher profit margins, the much larger addressable market for grid-tied systems means they dominate the solar and energy storage market.
"Developers are pushing packaged solar and storage systems in order to stand out as value-adding leaders, but not all benefit equally," said Steven Minnihan, Lux Research Senior Analyst and a co-author of the report titled, "Batteries Included: Gauging Near-Term Prospect for Solar/Energy Storage Systems." "Residential energy storage will see a boost adoption due to solar, but the addition of storage will barely move the needle for solar players, driving a paltry 1% increase in global PV sales."
Assessing the emerging market for combined solar and energy storage, Lux Research analysts found that:
•Residential applications dominate through 2018. As lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries and overall storage arrays fall in price, residential systems will gain the most, growing to 382 MW in 2018. The light commercial segment will increase to 220 MW while heavy commercial/industrial systems lag, growing only to 73.3 MW.
•Japan is the worldwide leader. Hit by high electricity prices and seeking alternative energy after the nuclear woes, Japan will install 381 MW of solar coupled with storage by 2018, leading all other markets by a wide margin. Germany will come in second at 94 MW, while the U.S. will be third at 75 MW.
•Newfound storage policies may dramatically increase the market. This year, Germany set aside $67 million to subsidize solar-tied energy storage and the U.S. Senate introduced a program that could fund $7.5 billion worth of new storage projects, or about 7.5 GWh of capacity.
The report, titled "Batteries Included: Gauging Near-Term Prospect for Solar/Energy Storage Systems," is part of the Lux Research Grid Storage Intelligence and the Solar Systems Intelligence services.
About Lux Research
Lux Research provides strategic advice and ongoing intelligence for emerging technologies. Leaders in business, finance and government rely on us to help them make informed strategic decisions. Through our unique research approach focused on primary research and our extensive global network, we deliver insight, connections and competitive advantage to our clients. Visit www.luxresearchinc.com for more information.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2399823
Add to Digg Bookmark with del.icio.us Add to Newsvine
Lux Research, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Swiss Suicide Tourism Doubled Since 2009
- Florida's Largest Insurer Says 'Bailout' Attacks Unfair
- Wealth Gap Widened in Past Decade: Census
- James Foley Beheading Sparks Anger, Little Action
- International Revulsion Grows Over James Foley Death
- Gap Reports Higher Profits, India Plans
- Sears Holdings Loses $573 Million
- Beyonce, Jay-Z Cuba Trip Was Legal After All
- Chinese Stock Funds Are a Late-summer Bloomer