A recent poll on race shows that white Americans are less likely to
have non-white friends. The ongoing Reuters poll said about 40 percent of white
Americans and about 25 percent of non-white Americans surround themselves
exclusively with friends of their own race, according to the ongoing Reuters
If you factor in coworkers with friends and relatives, 30 percent of Americans are not mixing with others of a different race, the poll showed.
The South has the lowest percentage of people with friends or acquaintances from a different race. In contrast, the races are mixing more in the Pacific states -- including California.
Hispanics seem to be bucking the trend: Nearly half of Hispanics who have a spouse or partner are in a relationship with non-Hispanics, compared to a tenth of whites.
The poll results come on the heels of President Obama's comments two weeks ago asking Americans to soul search on racial issues after George Zimmerman was found not guilty in the killing of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin.
Obama said younger Americans get race and the poll results back his comments: About a third of Americans under age 30 who have a partner or spouse are in a relationship with someone of a different race, compared to a tenth of Americans over 30. And only one in 10 adults under 30 say no one among their families, friends or coworkers is of a different race, less than half the rate for Americans as a whole.
Results were taken from responses of 4,170 Americans between July 24 and Aug. 6.
(c)2013 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Atlanta, Ga.)
Visit The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Atlanta, Ga.) at www.ajc.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Ford Plans New Cars, Jobs in 2014
- Gold, Silver Slide on Prospects of Fed Exit
- 'Rape Insurance' Bill Passes in Michigan
- Ted Cruz Coloring Book Selling Briskly
- Kim Jong Un's Uncle Executed
- Grizzly Bears Could Be Taken Off Endangered List