Tonight's Powerball jackpot -- currently at $425 million -- continues
to grow as more and more people enter the lottery.
If taken as a lump sum, the jackpot has a cash value of more than $244 million before taxes. Tickets are $2 each and the odds of winning are 1 in 175.2 million.
In Sacramento, folks are pouring into local hot spots for a chance to win. Lichine's Liquor & Deli on South Land Park Drive in Sacramento has had three winning lottery tickets in the past. The AM/PM on Auburn Folsom Road in Granite Bay and Dry Creek U-Save Liquors in Galt have each had two winners.
Pilar Delacruz, working at the Granite Bay AM/PM this morning, said the store has been extra busy since Monday, with customers often spending more than $10 in one visit.
If no one wins after tonight's drawing, the money rolls over to Saturday and the prize will get even larger.
The Powerball record jackpot is $590 million, which went to an 84-year-old Florida woman in May. That still pales in comparison to the world's largest -- a Mega Millions jackpot that hit at $656 million in March 2012.
(c)2013 The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, Calif.)
Visit The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, Calif.) at www.sacbee.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- India Recognizes Transgender People as 'Third Gender'
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- Michael Bloomberg Takes Aim at the NRA
- Brands Get Caught in Bitter-Tweet Traps
- Depp, Pfister Are Tech Philosophers
- U.S. Housing Starts up in March After Bitter Winter
- AC/DC Denies Rumor It's Done Rocking
- U.S. Capacity Utlization Rate Rose More Than Expected in March
- Man Arrested After Driving Stolen Car to Court Hearing
- U.S. Job Market Still Needs Fed Stimulus: Yellen