Aug. 05--'The Sword in the Stone: 50th Anniversary Edition'
When I was growing up in the early '80s, it was a pretty dreary time for Disney animated features. I had to watch my Disney films on TV whenever they might be screened. For me, the biggest treat was not seeing the beloved classics such as "Pinocchio" or "Peter Pan," though I've certainly seen and enjoyed all of them. For me, the real treasure was one of the lesser-known films, "The Sword in the Stone," originally released in 1963. The film, based on the first part of T.H. White's "The Once And Future King," had everything a youngster could want: sword fights, wizards, crazy villains, magic combat and memorable songs. It isn't as well-known as some of the other Disney films, but it's a classic in need of some love. (DVD, $29.99; Blu-ray/DVD combo, $36.99)
Perhaps the biggest crime committed by this Tom Cruise sci-fi film is being very boring. Washed out, sterile and unbearably slow, "Oblivion" follows Jack (Cruise), who works on a post-apocalyptic Earth. Of course, there's a big cover-up. It's a pretty cool idea, just poorly executed. (DVD, $29.98; Blu-ray, $34.98)
'The Thick of It: Seasons 1-4'
See why people are excited for Peter Capaldi to play the new Doctor in "Doctor Who" by checking out his award-winning performance in this BBC comedy. (DVD, $79.98)
'Mud' (DVD, $19.98; Blu-ray, $24.99)
'The Place Beyond the Pines' (DVD, $29.98; Blu-ray/DVD combo, $34.98)
'Community: The Complete Fourth Season' (DVD, $45.99
Visit amNewYork at www.amny.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Cantwell Targets Gender Gap in Small-Business Loans
- Chrysler Gets Nod as a Top Employer for Hispanic Women
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Set Pace in Florida
- Health-care Deal Aids Port Contract Talks
- What's the Law for Kids at Gun Ranges?
- Perry's Lawyers Try to Close Abuse Case
- Mario Lopez Inks New Clear Channel Deal
- South Korea's Kia to Invest $1 Billion in Mexico
- FBI Probes JPMorgan Hack
- Apple Loses Bid to Block Sales of 9 Samsung Phones