Juan Pablo Galavis is to be the first non-Caucasian "Bachelor" or "Bachelorette" in the reality TV shows' history, The Hollywood Reporter said.
Galavis is a 32-year-old former soccer player from Venezuela, who is now living in Miami with his 4-year-old daughter.
He will be the star of "The Bachelor" in Season 18, after previously competing for the affection of most recent "The Bachelorette" star Desiree Hartsock. She ultimately got engaged to finalist Chris Siegfried Monday night.
ABC and the shows' producers have been criticized in the past for not casting men and women with more diverse cultural backgrounds on "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette."
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- McDonald's Names Another U.S. President
- The Hip New Career? Farming
- Sahara Casino Rises Anew as SLS Las Vegas
- U.S. Supporters of Islamic State Get Close Scrutiny
- Student Startup Develops Date-rape Detector
- Job Market Shifts Complicate Yellen's Rate Decision
- Dems Losing Fear of Obamacare
- Chinese Coal Gas Boom Poses Climate Risks
- Deere Announces New Round of Layoffs