Juan Pablo Galavis is to be the first non-Caucasian "Bachelor" or "Bachelorette"
in the reality TV shows' history, The Hollywood Reporter said.
Galavis is a 32-year-old former soccer player from Venezuela, who is now living in Miami with his 4-year-old daughter.
He will be the star of "The Bachelor" in Season 18, after previously competing for the affection of most recent "The Bachelorette" star Desiree Hartsock. She ultimately got engaged to finalist Chris Siegfried Monday night.
ABC and the shows' producers have been criticized in the past for not casting men and women with more diverse cultural backgrounds on "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette."
Most Popular Stories
- 2014 Will Be 'Breakthrough Year' for U.S., Obama Says
- Prius Among Insurance Institute's 39 Top Safety Vehicles
- Target Overwhelmed by Worried Customers
- Congress Ends Turbulent Year with Approving IRS Chief
- First Family Arrives for Hawaiian Island Holiday
- Renewable Energy Group to Acquire Syntroleum
- Ally Financial Settles Auto Loan Suit
- Climate Change Isn't an Equal Opportunity Destroyer
- Covered California Lags on Hispanic Enrollment
- Chris Christie Set to Sign Tuition Aid Bill