North Korea has withdrawn an invitation to a US special envoy
who was to travel there on a humanitarian mission focused on securing the
release US citizen Kenneth Bae, the State Department announced Friday.
"We are surprised and disappointed by North Korea's decision," the State Dept said.
The special envoy, Robert King, was to travel at the invitation of Pyongyang.
Bae was arrested in North in November 2012 and was convicted April 30 by the North Korean Supreme Court of committing hostile acts against North Korea and sentenced to 15 years of hard labour.
King was to ask Pyongyang to pardon Bae and grant him special amnesty on humanitarian grounds so that he can be reunited with his family and seek medical treatment.
Bae, 45, suffers from chronic diabetes and other health problems, his family has said. Earlier this month he was moved to a hospital.
"We remain gravely concerned about Mr. Bae's health and we continue to urge the DPRK (North Korean) authorities to grant Mr. Bae special amnesty and immediate release on humanitarian grounds," the State Department concluded.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?